Sunday, February 11, 2007

More on Sat 10th Obama Love Fest

The Springfield Police agree with estimate of 17,000 attendees at the Obama Presidential Announcement. State Journal Register estimates much lower at around 10,000. I have yet to see an overhead photograph. Maybe one does not exists, though at least one helicopter was buzzing overhead most of the time. From where we were, we could tell the crowd was very large but could not see too far in most directions, even though we could see the stage fairly well. I am not sure how to estimate big numbers of anything without a detailed photo. As an example, we saw a gigantic flock of snow geese today flying west to east over Chatham road. Our conservative estimate was 5-7, 000, but possibly was up to 25, 000. And that includes no hidden agendas in the estimate. I am not sure what agendas possible inflation of the numbers by the police or underestimation of the numbers by the SJR would accomplish. I hope there are no hidden agendas in the estimates.
I enjoyed the interviews of attendees on page 9 of the SJR today, especially that of Deleshia Kinney. Also kind of impressed that several of the people interviewed on page 9 today and also by other press yesterday were from very small to small towns in southern Illinois, such as Ridgeway, IL. Were these just random encounters? I believe one can not underestimate at least the interest in Obama by white people, in fact just about everyone, of any age, sex, race, religion, income,that I know cannot wait to vote for the guy. Granted, perhaps my small sphere of family and associates are somewhere off of standard issue. I have been seeing estimates of how many white people would not support a black presidential candidate. I really do not want to believe that those numbers are true. Those numbers most certainly are not from Illinois. Did they have to go somewhere special to get those numbers or what? I am going to try and find out more about this issue. Of course, I could not believe how many Americans voted for George W. the second time! I do not have my finger on the pulse of mainstream American society for sure. Darla

No comments: